With so many running events out there it’s really tricky to choose these days, especially when trends are heading for profits. Well, what if you could run an amazing event and help to fund youth projects?
Auckland event that gives back
We would like to give a huge shout out to the annual Hillary trail running event that’s managed and run by Auckland based Lactic Turkey Events, and GPR writer wild man Shaun Collins. Run in February, and part of the ‘Sky Running Series’, the Hillary Trail Run offers something for everyone with 16km, 34km or 80km adventures! Shaun and so many of his colourful (!) events give back to the local community and this one is a real gem, with all profits raised going to a non-profit charitable trust – The Hillary Trail Run Charitable Trust.
All the profits made by the event are distributed by the Trust to fund youth projects in the Waitakere Ranges. The Trust also pursues other sources of funding to help achieve the goals for the Trust.
So next time you are looking for a brilliant trail running event in Auckland, the Hillary Trail is just 40mins from the big smoke and an utter paradise! Hand on heart, this event is the best I’ve experienced next to the Kepler Challenge and I highly recommend it. Entering it also supports the local community and youth in particular. Brilliant!
The goals of the trust;
– To promote care and stewardship of the parkland, in accordance with the Waitakere Ranges Heritage Area Act and the Regional Parks Management Plan.
– To inspire people of all ages to experience running, walking, tramping and camping in the Auckland region’s open spaces particularly the Waitakere Ranges.
– To enable the learning of new outdoor skills.
– To provide opportunities for building physical and mental confidence in an enjoyable way.
– To provide a sense of adventure in a wilderness setting; despite the Hillary Trail’s proximity to Auckland City the trail is rugged and challenging and delivers a powerful wilderness experience to walkers or runners, just as Sir Edmund Hillary would have dreamed.
– To provide opportunities for groups to assist in the care and stewardship of the parkland in consultation with the Auckland Council.
Meanwhile here are some images GPR captured at the event, from spending half the day out there with the ‘longer distance peeps’. The conditions were super hot so made for a really challenging day for most.
The official shooter on the day was top bloke Allan Ure.