Welcome to the first GPR Podcast! Malone is currently ranked first in the world in the T43/44 200m and 400m and second in the 100m event. This ranking has happened after Liam walked into the Paralympics office and asked about how to get to the Olympics in Rio less than 3 years ago.
Finally we have our first podcast online! It has taken longer than expected due to being busy with work that pays bills, and also learning the new suite of audio software (phew!) to make this all come together. It’s not perfect, but that’s ok, because it’s number ONE!
Being our first podcast we cover what GPR is all about, why we started the project and talk to inspirational double ampeutee Liam Malone who has been named in New Zealand’s Paralympic track running team with sights set on gold in September. We digress extensively (and use the F word a few times) and being our first podcast the focus somewhat flutters from on topic to down right random. Enjoy!
We talk about;
- Liam’s story from unfit to world number one and Rio olympics in 2 years.
- Liam’s training schedule and the differences between track and long running.
- The support from the NZ public.
- Paralympic sport, the technology and regulation.
- The mentality of the high performing athlete and visualisation.
- Anxiety, stress, depression and managing this through running after grief.
- Short term stresses and their benefits.
- Freeing the mind with ultra running.
- Memes. We love them.
- High performance sport NZ and how it works.
- Types of training over the week for 400M.
- Dad bod, strength training and the glutes.
- Runners gait, the love of it and running efficiency.
- Optimising performance with altitude training, ice baths and saunas.
- Benefits of doing something physical everyday.
- Mindfulness in running, self awareness and living in the moment.
- Western world is obesity and the positive association of bad food through advertising.
- Sugar tax. Is it going to work with artificial sweeteners not being taxed?
- Cultural change in society for more purpose, and the basics of being human.
- OCD in running, phycology, and the sacrifice of the high achieving runner.
- The fear and anxiousness of high performance on the day and how to overcome it.
- Technique for the 400M run.
- Sleep and nutrition and its benefits.
- The opinions of Auckland and its benefits/ opportunities for high performing athletes.
- What parts of running Liam enjoys most.
- Advice for people wanting to follow their running dreams.
Some resources discussed;
- Paralympics NZ. http://www.paralympics.org.nz/
- Paralympics Rio. https://www.paralympic.org/rio-2016
- High Performance Sport New Zealand. http://hpsnz.org.nz/
- Ossur Prosthetics. http://www.ossur.com.au/
- Liams interview with Stuff.co.nz http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/10687650/Legless-Liam-Malone-is-blade-running-to-Rio